The SEPT Competence Center, with support of German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and BMZ, supports academic qualification measures for individuals from developing countries via the international digital IDEA summer school.
Call for Applications 2023
- Onboarding Week: June 26th to 30th (virtual)
- Self-Learning Online Course July 24th to 28th
- Stay in Leipzig: September 3rd to 24th
- Virtual Conference: October 18th to 20th
Application Deadline: 26th February 2023, 22:59 GMT// 23:59 CET
***Please note that this Summer School is an exclusive offer to DAAD scholarship holders of the In-Country/In-Region Programme. Further, applying is only possible if you have not yet participated in a (virtual) Summer School from this DAAD programme line.***
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), with financial support provided by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), supports academic qualification measures for individuals from developing countries who participate in the In-Country/In-Region Programme. The programme aims to enable trained professionals to address and deal with diverse societal, economic, and ecological issues in developing countries. A further objective is to sustainably improve the teaching and research conditions in the partner regions and to strengthen their higher education profile.
As an additional offer for scholarship holders of the In-Country/In-Region Programme, the DAAD cooperates with German universities in organizing a range of summer schools in Germany. One of these is the IDEA Summer School offered in cooperation with the International SEPT Competence Center (Small Enterprise Promotion and Training) located at Leipzig University, Germany.
The IDEA Summer School aims to enable you to plan and implement your projects for knowledge transfer. Therefore, the project ideas are at the heart of the Summer School. We will focus on three channels of knowledge transfer: Innovation, Entrepreneurship (business idea development) and Teaching. Based on the three channels, the Summer School allows you to emphasize one of those tracks by submitting a respective project idea with the application. One intensive Coaching Day per week in Leipzig supports you to advance the project based on the input of the respective week. Each of the tracks aims to empower you to develop your own project idea further as a direct output of the Summer School.
By participating in the IDEA Summer School, you will profit from a number of personal and academic benefits:
- Training of a value of 4,500€ including a 3-week stay in Leipzig.
- Workshops and coaching with experienced partners from Africa and Germany.
- Discussions and contacts with international peers.
- Access to international (academic) networks via our official community app, during community events such as movie screenings, cooking events, intercultural workshops, and the monthly SEPT Research Colloquium.
- Potential contacts to support you during the application process for research stays, etc.
- Get a first glimpse of German everyday culture and meet the SEPT Team including students and researchers!
- Certificate of participation issued by Leipzig University and DAAD.
- In the Entrepreneurship and Innovation tracks, you will be well-prepared for admission to the AGEA business idea competition.
- In the Training track, you will have a well-developed course draft at hand to be used and published
Get more details in our Call for Applications document!
1. Read the information on this website carefully and watch the SEPT tutorial on German application standards.
2. Register on our Innolytics platform. Then, the IDEAS Team will assign you to the IDEAS Application Area manually. This may take some time but this additional step is to avoid unintended access to your idea.
Watch this video to find out how Innolytics works!
3. Fill the application survey. The details are required to coordinate the application process with DAAD and the other SP/DL Summer Schools.
4. Log on to Innolytics and fill in the details of your idea. Take time to do this very carefully. The idea, the presentation of your personal capacity and your motivation statement submitted here is the basis for the selection process.
Once you have completed those steps you can await the result of our selection process. Please be patient with us, we need some time to do this since we want to treat your application with the careful attention that it deserves.
The selection will be based on the quality of the project idea (innovativeness, feasibility and impact), the expected value addition through SEPT throughout the IDEA Summer School and the credibility of the applicants capacity to implement the project. Formal quality of the application will also play a role. The selection committee, comprised of high-profile higher education management experts and staff of DAAD, meets in March and the selected candidates will be informed about the results of the selection meeting by the end of April 2023.
Contact details of Programme Management
Mr. Robert Meyer; Ms. Lucina Diehl
SEPT Competence Centre
04109 Leipzig, Germany